Meet Jeff Kennedy
Jeff Kennedy’s practice focuses on oil and gas law, energy law, environmental law, and real estate. Jeff began his legal career as Assistant General Counsel for the Kansas Corporation Commission. There, he handled regulatory matters involving oil and gas and environmental issues. Since joining Martin Pringle in 1986, Jeff has expanded his practice to include a wide variety of oil and gas and natural resource matters, including the development of wind energy and other renewable energy resources, zoning and land-use issues for real property, and commercial litigation focusing on real property. Jeff was the firm's Managing Partner from early 2002 until March 1, 2014.
Since the time he joined Martin Pringle, Jeff has counseled companies of all sizes on a wide variety of oil and gas issues. That experience includes mineral owner/lessee disputes, gas contract disputes, the underground storage of natural gas, lease operating issues, and a continuing emphasis on regulatory matters involving the Kansas Corporation Commission. Jeff served on the Kansas Energy Council from 2006 until 2009. That body provided recommendations to the state legislature and governor on a variety of energy-related matters. (Governor Kathleen Sebelius appointed him to the Kansas Energy and Environmental Policy (KEEP) Advisory Group in 2008, which evaluated carbon reduction measures. That body concluded its work in late 2009.) Jeff also serves on the executive committee and board of directors of the Kansas Independent Oil and Gas Association, a group dedicated to advocating for, and providing up-to-date information to its members, who are independent players in the Kansas oil and gas industry. In addition, Jeff has counseled companies involved in the development of renewable energy sources, such as wind and biofuels. Jeff’s unique blend of knowledge and experience provides him with the tools necessary to tackle matters as diverse as the development of alternative energy sources, carbon capture and mitigation projects, and energy efficiency and conservation initiatives, in addition to a more traditional oil and gas practice.
In addition to the regulatory issues involving the oil and gas industry he encountered early in his career, Jeff has routinely represented entities who have become ensnared in environmental disputes. He has handled a wide range of matters related to environmental liability, claims for reimbursement of remedial expenses and compliance with state and federal requirements, particularly related to real property. In 1992, he co-edited and was a chapter author for the Kansas Bar Association’s Environmental Law Handbook. He also routinely works with environmental issues related to the sale or acquisition of real estate.
Jeff’s work in the energy and environmental fields naturally led to representing real property owners and developers. His real estate practice focuses on commercial real estate and includes the representation of developers and owners of office complexes, retail shopping venues, and multi-family housing. Over the years, Jeff has provided advice and litigated matters involving land use, zoning, and regulatory matters, including issues related to property with environmental concerns.
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Kansas, B.S., 1981
- Kansas, 1984
- TAGLaw, International Advisory Board, (2010 - 2013)
- Kansas Independent Oil and Gas Association (KIOGA), Board of Directors & Educational Foundation
- Wichita Bar Association, Board of Governors, (2012 - 2014)
- Kansas and Wichita Bar Associations, Member
Civic / Social Involvement
- Washburn University School of Law, Board of Governors, (2015 - present)
- Kansas Board of the Nature Conservancy, Board of Directors
- University of Kansas Alumni Association, National Board of Directors (2009 - 2015), Executive Committee (2013 - 2015), Board Chair (2013 - 2014)
- Wichita Network of Kansas University Alumni Association, Past President and Board Member
- 4 Wichita Committee, University of Kansas Medical School-Wichita, Past Board Chair
- Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission, Board of Directors, Chair (2015-2017)
- Wichita Art Museum, Board of Trustees (2010 - 2015), Board Chair (2011-2012)
- Arts Partners, Board of Directors (2014 - present), Board Chair (2017 - 2020)
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Best Lawyers, Wichita Mining Lawyer of the Year, 2015
- Best Lawyers, Wichita Energy Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2019, 2021
- Best Lawyers, Wichita Oil and Gas Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Best Lawyers, Wichita Environmental Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007 - 2022
- Kansas Super Lawyer, 2006 - 2020
- Kansas Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition, Energy & Natural Resources, 2009, 2010
- Kansas Super Lawyer, Business Edition, Energy & Natural Resources, 2011
- Wichita Bar Association President’s Award, 1995, 2001, 2006, 2014, 2015
- Wichita Bar Association Howard C. Kline Award, 2013
Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
Published Articles / Presentations
Co-Editor. Kansas Bar Association, Environmental Handbook, 1992
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.