Meet Brent Mitchell
Brent Mitchell grew up on his family’s farm in Elkhart, Kansas. As a member of the third generation of his family’s farming venture, Brent is familiar with the issues that face the independent farmer and small business owner. Brent’s law practice focuses on corporate and business transactions; business succession planning; estate planning; and trust and estate administration. As the owner of several independent businesses with more than 25 years of experience himself, Brent is uniquely positioned to appreciate the challenges inherent in setting up, managing, and providing for the future of a business, whether it is a large private company or the family farm.
Unlike many lawyers, Brent has first-hand knowledge and direct experience in the business world. This, coupled with his years of practice as an attorney and his LLM in taxation, affords him a distinct perspective on the practical concerns business owners face. Brent has guided clients from setup to succession planning – assisting them, for example, in determining whether to form as a “C” corporation, subchapter “S” corporation, or limited liability company, and later asking the practical questions necessary to determine how the business will thrive when its founder retires or moves on to other opportunities.
Brent represents clients in a wide range of sophisticated commercial real estate related transactions. He has extensive experience, and is well-equipped to handle all types of commercial business and real estate transactions. His clients include purchasers and sellers of commercial real estate and developers, general contractors, and owners in the negotiation and preparation of contracts and other documents in connection with the acquisition, sale and development of commercial real estate.
Additionally, Brent provides guidance to individual clients in the estate planning and trust and estate administration arenas. He has years of experience in assisting clients with everything from the creation of simple trusts to special needs trusts and charitable gift planning. Brent is a trusted advisor and knowledgeable resource to clients in matters of trust and estate administration as well. As a certified public accountant and an attorney with an advanced degree in taxation, Brent not only understands the goals of asset protection and preservation but also the practical realities involved in reaching those goals.
- New York University, L.L.M. in Taxation, 1993
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1992
- University of Kansas, B.S., 1988
Bar Admissions & Professional Certifications
- Kansas, 1992
- Certified Public Accountant, 1989
- Kansas Family Business Forum, Grantor Board
- Kansas and Wichita Societies of Certified Public Accountants
- Kansas Bar Association, Executive Committee, Tax Section
- Wichita Bar Association, Probate Practice Committee
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012 - 2023
- Best Lawyers, Wichita Business Organization Lawyer of the Year, 2015, 2020
- Best Lawyers, Tax Lawyer of the Year, 2018
- Wichita Business Journal 40 Under 40 Class, 1999
Civic / Social Involvement
- Servant Christian Community Foundation, Wichita Board of Directors
- Kansas Family Business Forum, Grantor's Board
- Wichita Community Foundation Board, 1996-2002
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.