Meet Matt Spahn
Matt Spahn is a Martin Pringle lifer. He began working at Martin Pringle as a legal courier during high school, served as a summer clerk while a student at the University of Washburn School of Law, joined the firm upon graduation as an associate, and is now a partner with the firm. Matt has earned the respect of both his clients and his peers with his trial advocacy, tireless work ethic, and attention to detail. Matt focuses his practice on complex litigation matters, including civil and commercial litigation, medical malpractice and personal injury defense, products liability, and construction law. Matt also consults with individuals and businesses on employment matters.
Matt represents a wide-array of clients involved in complex civil and commercial matters. Matt’s has experience in contractual disputes, insurance coverage questions, insurance defense, and commercial liability. His clients include individuals, local businesses, and both insureds and insurers.
For his entire career, Matt has represented healthcare providers in all stages of litigation. An experienced trial attorney, his medical malpractice litigation experience includes a wide range of medical negligence claims, including significant personal injury and wrongful death claims. Matt’s clients include physicians, nurses, hospitals, and nursing homes.
Matt has extensive experience in product liability matters, defending products manufacturers from across the country. His product liability experience includes representing aircraft manufacturers, component manufacturers, suppliers and distributors. Matt has litigated products liability claims brought throughout the United States.
Matt has represented multiple parties in construction disputes, including construction companies, general contractors, subcontractors, homebuilders and homeowners. He handles a wide array of claims ranging from negligence to contract disputes to project delays.
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
- Kansas State University, B.B.A., 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2015
- U.S. District Court fot he District of Kansas, 2013
- Kansas, 2013
Obtained defense verdict at trial for nursing home in a wrongful death action brought by a plaintiff claiming over $800,000 in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment in a wrongful death action brought by a plaintiff claiming $3.5 million in damages.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial for nursing home in a wrongful death action brought by a plaintiff claiming $1 million in damages.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims for oil field company in a personal injury matter.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims for nursing home in slip and fall case.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial for two surgeons in a medical malpractice action brought by a plaintiff claiming over $3 million in damages.
- Obtained summary judgement for oil company in coverage dispute with its insurance company.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims brought against an insurer in a breach of contract claim where the plaintiff alleged that the insurer failed to give adequate notice that it was cancelling the plaintiff’s insurance policy.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims brought against a physician in a medical malpractice action brought by a plaintiff claiming over $2.5 million in damages.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims brought against an event promotor in a negligence action where the plaintiff alleged that the event promoter failed to provide adequate security and lighting.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims brought against a manufacturer in a products liability action brought by a plaintiff in Cook County, Illinois, where the plaintiff alleged that the manufacturer’s component made in Kansas and incorporated into a machine in Illinois injured the plaintiff.
- Successfully defended an admitted liability auto accident case filed against a local business and its employees. At trial, the jury found that the business and its employees were not liable for any of the plaintiff’s injuries.
- Obtained dismissal of wrongful discharge claims brought by ex-employee of local manufacturer.
- Represented student in breach of privacy lawsuit filed against a university. The university settled the case before trial.
- Represented a municipality in a dispute with multiple defendants involving the defendants’ overhaul of the municipality’s engine powering the municipal power generation facility. The defendants settled with the municipality before trial.
- Successfully defended local business owner accused of vehicular manslaughter resulting from an ATV accident, obtaining a not-guilty verdict at trial.
- Represented manufacturer in a charge filed by an ex-employee with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Represented a business co-owner on appeal following the trial court’s award of the company to the co-owner. The trial court’s determination was affirmed by the Kansas Court of Appeals.
- DRI, Member
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Wichita Bar Associations, Member
Civic / Social Involvement
- American Red Cross South Central and Southeast Kansas, Board of Directors
- Kansas State University Alumni Association, Member
- Washburn University School of Law Alumni Association, Member
Awards And Recognition
Kansas Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best Lawyers in America, 2021, 2022
Wichita Business Journal Emerging Leader, 2017
Martin Pringle Website. 2018. "Kansas Court of Appeals Confirms Inapplicability of Kansas Consumer Protection Act Claims Against Regulated Banks" News. https://www.martinpringle.com/news/view/ks-court-of-appeals-confirms-inapplicability-of-kcpa-claims-against-regulat.
"Ex Parte Interview with Treating Physicians: A Promising Update," Kansas Association of Defense Counsel Journal (Fall 2017).
"Actions Speak Louder than Words: The Kansas Supreme Court Finds FedEx Drivers are Employees Not Independent Contractors."
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.