Meet Sam Heaney
Sam’s meticulous research and attention to detail makes him a valuable member of our litigation team. He developed these traits through years of having his mother, a college English professor, show him no mercy while editing his papers. Sam joined Martin Pringle as an associate attorney in 2014, having clerked at the firm for two summers during law school. He obtained his law degree from the University of Iowa College of Law, where he was managing editor of The Journal of Corporation Law. He graduated magna cum laude from Saint Louis University, where he earned a pre-law certificate as well as a bachelor’s degree in communication.
Sam assists the firm's clients in the defense of claims including commercial, homeowner's, and auto liability as well as in the pursuit and defense of business disputes. He also works extensively with nursing, rehabilitation, and senior living facilities, representing those businesses in nursing home negligence defense, guardianships, and creditor's claims.
Sam is a huge Iowa Hawkeyes fan and enjoys playing soccer, golf, fantasy football and family time when he is away from the office. He practices in the areas of civil and commercial litigation, insurance defense, and creditor's rights, including the representation of nursing and senior care facilities.
Sam assists nursing homes, their managers, and their care providers in several capacities. He represents and defends long-term care facilities in claims of negligence in providing patient care. Sam also prosecutes breach of contract and probate claims on behalf of nursing homes, and provides counsel to facility operators in the navigation of the complex legal environment and protection of their interests.
Since joining the firm, Sam has regularly practiced in insurance defense litigation. He has successfully represented carriers and their insureds in a variety of ways. He regularly defends cases involving vehicle accidents, premises liability, and professional negligence.
Sam represents individuals, businesses, and banks in complex commercial litigation, foreclosures, contract litigation, and negligence. He regularly appears in both state and federal courts in Kansas and Missouri.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2014
- Saint Louis University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2011
- Missouri, 2015
- Kansas, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas, 2014
- Metropolitan Adoption Council of Kansas City, Member
- Earl E. O'Connor American Inn of Court, Associate
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- DRI, Member
- DRI Young Lawyers, DRI For Life/Wellness subcommittee - Vice Chair
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- Johnson County Bar Association, Member
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers, Ones to Watch, 2021, 2022, 2023
Civic / Social Involvement
- Kansas City Iowa Club
- Saint Louis University Alumni Association
- Catholic Challenge Sports
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.