Meet Mike Jones
Mike Jones always knew he wanted to be a lawyer, and he began working for Martin Pringle as a runner the day he graduated from high school. He continued with the firm as a summer clerk while a law student at the University of Texas. Since graduating from law school in 1990, Mike has developed a thriving litigation practice, focusing on aviation law, products liability, and complex commercial litigation. Mike is active in DRI (formerly the Defense Research Institute) and the Kansas Association of Defense Counsel (KADC). Mike sometimes jokes that when he was a baby, his parents left him in a basket at Martin Pringle’s door. Thankfully, his true history does not involve parental neglect or abusive child labor practices, but a lawyer of singular focus and dedication to his profession.
Mike represents Martin Pringle's aviation clients, including Textron Aviation Inc. and its predecessors, in product liability actions and a variety of commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts throughout the United States. With a comprehensive understanding of aircraft systems and the court system, Mike successfully represents aviation businesses based both on the merits of the claims and on the statutory and procedural defenses available in a given case. Mike is particularly well-versed in the General Aviation Revitalization Act (GARA) and has written articles and given presentations on that act. He also represents aviation clients on contractual matters, risk management, and regulatory compliance. Martin Pringle's aviation manufacturing clients call upon Mike’s broad-based aviation experience to help resolve day-to-day legal issues.
Mike is highly experienced in defending product liability actions, having participated in cases filed in federal and state courts throughout the United States. He represents aircraft manufacturers and servicers, aircraft-components manufacturers, manufacturers of recreational products, and industrial equipment manufacturers in cases involving personal injury and wrongful death claims, as well as property damage claims. Mike has served as the 2010 Program Chair for DRI's national Product Liability Conference.
Mike represents clients in a variety of commercial litigation matters. His experience includes contract disputes, breach of fiduciary duty actions, non-competition and trade secrets employment litigation, construction and real estate disputes, and intellectual property litigation. He has prosecuted and defended claims for injunctive and other equitable relief, and is experienced in alternative dispute resolution, including arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). Mike has served as an arbitrator and mediator in complex commercial and personal injury cases.
Mike has extensive experience and a keen interest in computer and technology-related litigation, including intellectual property matters and system development disputes involving software, hardware and integrated systems. Being tech-savvy is key to many kinds of commercial and product cases, particularly when the subject matter in dispute involves technology, as it increasingly does.
- University of Texas at Austin, J.D., with honors, 1990
- Wichita State University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1986
- Kansas, 1990
- Colorado, 1991
- Oklahoma, 1999
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1990
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- DRI, Aviation Law Committee, Chair 2019 - present
- DRI, Product Liability Committee's Aviation Substantive Law Group, Chair 2018 - 2019
- DRI, Issues and Advocacy Committee for the DRI Center for Law and Public Policy, 2014 - present
- DRI, Judicial Task Force 2015 - 2018
Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, President, 2014 - 2015; DRI State Representative 2015 - 2017
DRI, Product Liability Committee Web Conference Chair, 2012 - 2014
- DRI, Product Liability Committee Industry Groups Liason, 2011 - 2013
- DRI, Product Liability 2010 Program Chair and Product Liability Committee Member
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Board of Directors
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Secretary, 2012
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, DRI State Representative, 2010 - 2011
- American Bonanza Society, Member
- Wichita Aero Club, Member
- Wichita Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2009 - 2011
- Wichita Bar Association, Technology Committee, Chair 2019 - 2021
- Wichita Bar Association, Civil Practice Committee, Former Chair
- Kansas and Wichita Bar Associations, Member
Civic / Social Involvement
- Wichita State University Cohen Honor's College, Inaugural Advisory Board, Member
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer
- Kansas Food Bank, Volunteer
- Wichita State University Alumni Association, Member
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012 - 2022
- Best Lawyers, Wichita Product Liability Defense Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2015
- Kansas Super Lawyer, 2016 - 2018
- The International Who's Who of Product Liability Defence Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal of Aviation Attorneys
- Wichita Bar Association President's Award, 2003
- Obtained complete defense verdict after six-week jury trial in complex, trade secret and non-competition agreement case involving specialty software for banking industry, following 8-figure settlement demands and damages claims in excess of $50 million.
- Obtained final dismissal and payment by plaintiff’s counsel of portion of defendant’s attorneys’ fees when plaintiff employed tactic of “sue first and ask questions later.”
- Excluded and limited expert testimony by motion in complex aircraft crash litigation to the extent to allow complete summary judgment on liability, confirmed by 10th Circuit.
Negotiated resolution of non-compete and trade secret claims that might otherwise have ended in an injunction that could have crippled a start-up company in a technical industry.
- Argued successfully to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and set new circuit law on the scope and application of the Government Contractor Defense.
Convinced plaintiff in real estate lawsuit to dismiss all claims against realtor by focusing on risk of plaintiff having to pay for bringing baseless claims. No money paid to settle.
Successfully defended a trust from attacks by disinherited family members, including an attempted use of the esoteric and often misunderstood Rule Against Perpetuities.
- Successfully argued to Delaware Supreme Court to affirm summary judgment for aircraft manufacturer in product liability case involving airplane accident and detailed interplay between federal and state law.
- Secured dismissals for aircraft manufacturer in multiple courts across nation on basis of lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained defense verdict in defending physician against claims of breach of fiduciary duty and piercing of corporate veil in managing practice group.
- Successfully defended steel company against claims of improperly supplied metals to aircraft component manufacturing company.
- Successfully defended ethanol plant manufacturer in claims of defect in industrial construction.
- Obtained positive outcomes for national clients in retailing, industrial equipment, pharmaceutical, tech, restaurant, energy, services, apparel and manufacturing industries.
Published Articles / Presentations
- Wingtips Podcast, Episode 14, DRI Aviation Law Committee, November 2021. Host.
- Wingtips Podcast, Episode 11, DRI Aviation Law Committee, May 2021. Host.
- Michael G. Jones and Teresa L. Adams. "Justice and the Virus." Defense Research Institute, The Voice, 2020. Print and web.
- Wingtips Podcast, Episode 3, DRI Aviation Law Committee, May 2020. Host.
- "A Conversation With Michael G. Jones." DRI, April 2020. Guest.
- Wingtips Podcast, Episode 1, DRI Aviation Law Committee, March 2020. Guest.
- Michael G. Jones. "2017 Key Changes in Kansas Code of Civil Procedure." Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Kansas Defense Journal, 2017. Print and web.
- Jones, M.G., Dershowitz, A., Casey S.F. ”Not to Drone On…A Deeper Dive and Hover into Unmanned Aerial Devices.” DRI (Defense Research Institute) Products Liability Conference. 1 February 2016. Lecture.
- Co-Author. "Punitive Damages: A State by State Compendium." Defense Research Institute, The Voice, 2009. Print.
- Co-Author. "The Joint Defense Doctrine - Cohesion Among Traditional Adversaries." Evidentiary Privileges for Corporate Counsel, 2008. Print.
- William L. Oliver, Jr. and Michael G. Jones. "Repose Statute Helps Revitalize an American Industry; The General Aviation Revitalization Act of 1994 (GARA)" The Aviation Quarterly, April 1997: 209-272, Part 4. Print.
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.