Meet Zach Wiggins
Zach Wiggins always loved a good argument when he was growing up, so it was no surprise when he joined the debate team in high school and college and went on the University of Kansas School of Law. Zach joined Martin Pringle as an associate attorney in 2011, after clerking with the firm for two summers. Zach graduated Order of the Coif from law school, was an associate editor of the Kansas Law Review and won the UMB Bank Excellence in Estate Planning Award. He is a sports enthusiast, whether he is playing golf, participating in the firm's softball games, bowling a perfect game, or cheering for his favorite team, the KU Jayhawks. Zach's practice focuses on business law, intellectual property & information technology, banking and financial services law, estate planning, tax law, oil and gas standup title opinions, and real estate matters.
Zach assists clients from the very inception of their professional endeavors, in determining the appropriate choice of business entity, all the way through a client’s business lifecycle. He is an ally to business clients and understands the legal and practical concerns involved in acquiring or selling a business entity, or planning for the succession of a closely-held business. Zach helps his clients navigate their business matters, including issues related to asset purchase agreements, mergers, shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, and stock acquisitions.
Zach assists clients with their technology law needs, including filing trademark applications, copyright consultation, trade secret protection, and preparation of licensing agreements. Zach helps his clients evaluate their intellectual property and strategically protect it through the most appropriate methods.
Real estate transactions are integral to businesses and individuals alike. Zach has represented Kansas developers, homeowners associations, and individuals in preparing sales contracts, assisting in land use issues, and in performing pre-purchase due diligence.
Zach is passionate about Wichita’s entrepreneurial and startup community, and regularly serves as a mentor to start-ups through local accelerator programs. He understands that entrepreneurs, startups, innovators and early stage businesses face a unique set of challenges, and the importance of protecting your business from the very beginning. Zach focuses on leveraging his legal know-how to help you make your business the success you know it can be.
Zach regularly represents clients in all areas of taxation, including compliance issues, income tax matters, sales tax issues, structuring 1031 exchanges, and taxation planning for both businesses and individual, as well as assisting clients in determining, and attaining, the corporate structure best suited for their business risk and tax needs.
Zach has also assisted many individual clients with their estate planning and asset protection needs. He advises clients in drafting documents to address their needs, such as wills, trusts, powers of attorney, healthcare directives, and documents that bestow charitable or personal gifts with a focus on minimizing income, gift, and estate taxes.
Additionally, Zach has experience working with lenders and borrowers both as principal counsel and as local counsel in loan transactions. He regularly prepares and reviews loan documents and manages loan transactions in a variety of industries including, aviation, oil and gas, food service, and real estate, He also provides third party, local counsel opinions on enforceability, authority and compliance with Kansas Law.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2011, Kansas Law Review, Associate Editor
- Wichita State University, B.A., 2006
- Kansas, 2011
- United States Tax Court, 2016
- Kansas Family Business Forum, Grantor Advisory Board of Directors
- Kansas and Wichita Bar Associations, Member
Civic / Social Involvement
- Create Campaign, Inc., Board of Directors
- Wichita Regional Chamber of Commerce, Past Board of Directors
- Old Town Association, Vice-President & Board of Directors
- Young Professionals of Wichita, Past Board of Trustees Chair
- University of Kansas, Alumni Association
- Wichita State University, Alumni Association
- Pando Initiative Mentor at Harry Street Elementary School
- Kansas Independent Oil & Gas Association, Member
August 2018- Lender’s counsel for $13 million loan secured by New Jersey real estate
August 2018 – Lender’s counsel for $9 million loan secured by Colorado real estate
March 2018 – lender’s counsel for $11 million credit facility secured by personal property
- June 2018 – Lender’s counsel for $8 million loan secured by Texas real estateFebruary 2018 – local counsel for $1.7 million loan on assisted living facility
- December 2017 – represented seller in sale of $900k services corporation stock sale
- November 2017 – represented purchaser of HVAC business in $895k asset purchase agreement
- December 2016 – Detailed analysis of inventory and executory contract collateral issues for secured lending to aircraft subcontractors
- April 2016 - Opinion letter for UCC Article 9 personal property and real property issues in connection with $13 million credit facility
- March 2016 - Local counsel for real estate mortgage credit facility $1.3 million
- February 2016 - $3 million (Kansas) revolving credit facility senior loan and junior loan opinion letter and mortgage review for Kansas manufacturing facility
- December 2015 – represented seller in sale of $1.1 million meat packing company
- October 2015 - Local counsel opinion letter for multi-county financing of mobile home and manufactured home real estate developments
- February 2015 - represented partnership lender in $13.1 million loan secured by Kansas oil and gas properties
- October 2014 - local counsel opinion for $4 million in personal property financing
- March 2014 - local counsel for $50 million loan on oil and gas property
Published Articles / Presentations
- Co-Author. "Will Your Family Business Survive to a Second Generation?" Thinking Bigger Business Media, Inc May 2016. Print.
- Co-Author. "Secured Lending Issue: “As-Extracted Collateral” and Mortgage As Financing Statement." July 2015. Website.
- Co-author. "Details Important for Investor to Lock In Capital Gains on Real Property Prior to Development." June 2014. Website.
- Co-author. "Financing Statements For Individual Debtors after 2010 UCC Amendments; Kansas Adopts Alternative." June 2014. Website.
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in America, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Kansas Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2020
Wichita Metro Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Wichita Class, 2018
Wichita Business Journal 40 Under 40 Class, 2017
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.