Meet Lora Jennings Mizell
Lora Jennings Mizell's practice focuses on employment law, health law, medical malpractice defense (physicians and long-term care facilities), and general civil litigation. She also has significant experience in probate and trust litigation. Lora joined the firm after graduating from the Washburn University School of Law, cum laude, in 2005. She has represented clients in all phases of litigation from investigation through appeals. She is active in several professional and community organizations, including the Kansas Association of Defense Counsel and Junior League of Kansas City.
Lora regularly consults with employers to provide practical advice on a wide variety of employment law matters. She consults with employers on day-to-day employment law compliance issues, including employee hiring and discharge practices, employee manuals and handbooks, wage and hour compliance, and responding to and investigating internal complaints. She frequently represents employers in responding to a variety of administrative charges of unlawful discrimination filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and similar state and municipal enforcement agencies in Kansas and Missouri. She represents and advises employers in connection with wage and hour audits by the Department of Labor and works closely with employers to structure employee compensation practices in compliance with federal and state laws. Lora also frequently works with business owners on the effective use of employment agreements and independent contractor agreements to help business owners organize an efficient workforce. Lora’s practice also includes representing employers in federal discrimination litigation, including Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) claims. She also has experience litigating non-compete claims and negligent hiring/supervision claims.
Lora’s practice also includes representation of physicians and long-term care facilities in both medical negligence claims and in regulatory compliance matters. Lora has counseled clients regarding compliance issues under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), including counseling health care providers and business associates regarding permitted uses and disclosures of protected health information, notices of privacy practices requirements, compliance with the Security Rule and Privacy Rule, and drafting business associate agreements.
A substantial portion of Lora’s practice involves representing clients in defending a wide variety of insurance matters. She has litigated coverage disputes, vehicle accident claims, personal injury and premises liability claims, and other casualty loss claims. She has participated in all aspects of personal injury and automobile accident cases, including case evaluation, discovery and trial.
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005 (Washburn Law Journal, Staff Member)
- University of Kansas, B.A., with distinction, 2002
- Missouri, 2006
- Kansas, 2005
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2007
- Earl E. O'Connor Inn of Court, Associate
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Board of Directors - President (2020), Treasurer (2018), Secretary (2017)
- DRI, Employment Law Committee
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Member
- Kansas and Johnson County Bar Associations, Member
Awards and Recognition
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer, Rising Stars, 2013 - 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, 2018 - 2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Kansas City Insurance Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2021
- Junior League of Kansas City, Member
- Leadership Overland Park, Overland Park Chamber of Commerce, 2018
Published Articles / Presentations
- “HIPAA and DPOA – The Legal Requirements.” 2020 Kansas MGMA Annual Conference, “Ringmasters of Healthcare”, April 19-21, 2023; Wichita, Kansas. Lecture.
- "New 2023 Employment Legislation Affecting Pregnant and Nursing Employees." martinpringle.com, March 8, 2023. Web.
- "What Employers Need to Know About Missouri's Legalization of Marijuana." martinpringle.com, November 10, 2022. Web.
- "HR and Employment Issues for Practice Managers." Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) of Kansas Fall Conference, September 15, 2022. Lecture.
- “Employment Law: Mitigating Risk and Avoiding Common Pitfalls.” HR-PAGE (Human Resource Professionals Association of Greater Emporia) / Emporia Area Business Conference, July 15, 2020. Lecture.
- "Protecting Company Resources: Non-Competes and Confidentiality Agreements in Employment." Association of Corporate Counsel - Mid-America Chapter, January 24, 2018. Lecture.
- "Corporate Depositions: Limiting In-House Counsel Depos and Selecting/Preparing Employees for 30(b)(6) Depos." Association of Corporate Counsel - Mid-America Chapter, February 15, 2017. Lecture.
- "Pay Transparency Rules, EEO-1 Reporting, and Recent EEOC Enforcement Actions." Missouri Bankers Association, Employment and Benefits Law Seminar, August 16, 2016. Lecture.
- "Employment Law Update: Changes for 2016." Martin Pringle Business Leaders Seminar, April 2016. Lecture.
- "What You Need to Know About Franchise Agreements." Thinking Bigger Magazine May 2015. Website.
- Harassment and Discrimination Complaints - The Best Defense is a Good Offense: Responding to Employee Complaints and Effective Investigations." Martin Pringle Law Firm Employment Law Seminar, June 2014. Lecture.
- "Avoiding Legal Pitfalls in Conducting Employee Terminations." Martin Pringle Law Firm Employment Law Seminar, June 2014. Lecture.
- "Legal Essentials for Entrepreneurs: Employment Law and Compliance Essentials." Wichita State University Center for Entrepreneurship Business Booster Series, May 2014. Lecture
- "Employment Law Update - Compliance Issues and Best Practices for 2014." Kansas Family Business Forum, April 2014. Lecture
- "Managing the Risks and Rewards of Social Media @ Your Workplace." Martin Pringle Law Firm Employment Law Seminar, March 2014. Lecture
- "Are There Any Employment Law "Hot Topics" for Business Owners in 2014?" Kansas City Business Journal - Ask the Professionals, March 2014. Print.
- "Guidelines for More Effective HR Management." Kansas Family Business Forum, December 2012. Lecture.
- Co-Author. "Punitive Damages: A State by State Compendium." Defense Research Institute, Kansas Section 2009. Print.
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.