Meet Doug Silvius
Born in Kansas City, Missouri, Doug has been actively engaged in litigation and commercial practice since his graduation from the University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Law in 1987, where he was a member of Law Review and the Urban Lawyer. He has represented municipal and other government entities as well as public utilities in a variety of legal matters througout his career. He is an in-demand attorney with regard to water-related legal issues.
Doug also has a robust business practice, consulting with business owners on the myriad legal issues arising on a daily basis. Doug can negotiate a merger or sale, outline a strategic business exit while maximizing return and minimizing risk, and guide a board of directors through the most sensitive governance issues.
Doug grew up in the Omaha, Council Bluffs area. He obtained his undergraduate degree in criminal justice administration at Central Missouri State University (n/k/a University of Central Missouri) in Warrensburg, Missouri. He has held several positions with the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, including Chairman of the Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court program and chairman of the Computer Law Committee. He has been active in the Missouri Bar Real Estate committee and is a past Vice Chairman of the Construction Law committee. He has presented at various seminars on real estate, leasing, municipal contracting, construction disputes, and commercial transactions, and has also been a regular speaker at the Missouri Rural Water Association meetings.
Doug is a past board member and chairman of the Lenexa Chamber of Commerce and a regular delegate to the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Exchange.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Central Missouri State University, B.A., 1984
- Missouri, 1987
- Kansas, 1988
- Missouri Rural Water Association, Legal Panel
- American, Missouri, and Kansas Bar Associations, Member
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Johnson County Bar Association, Member
Civic / Social Involvement
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Circle and Leadership Exchange Delegate
- Lenexa Chamber of Commerce, Past Chairperson, Board of Directors
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer, 2011 - 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2020, 2021, 2022
Published Articles / Presentations
- Confidential: Enforcing Noncompete/Nondisclosure Agreements & Protecting Trade Secrets. Missouri Bar Solo & Small Firm Conference, 2019. Speaker.
- Various Legal Sessions. Missouri Rural Water Association Annual Conference, 2018. Speaker.
- Attorney's Q&A. Missouri Rural Water Association Office Professionals' Seminar, 2017. Speaker.
- "I Haven't Been Paid for Work That I Did to Improve Real Estate. Can I File a Mechanic's Lien and Will I Get Paid if I Do?" Kansas City Business Journal - Ask the Professionals, October 2014. Print.
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.