Meet Jeff Spahn
Jeff Spahn is a highly respected and experienced litigator, having tried more than 60 cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. He has also successfully handled a number of arbitrations before arbitration panels of the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and has argued appeals in a number of state and federal courts. Born and raised in Nebraska, Jeff exemplifies the Midwest’s reputation for integrity and a strong work ethic.
In his more than 30 years with Martin Pringle, Jeff has represented aircraft and aircraft- component manufacturers, distributors, and service facilities in products liability actions and a variety of commercial litigation matters. He has an active practice litigating disputes involving breach of contract claims under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), warranty claims, and aircraft repossession, among other issues. Jeff has represented Beechcraft Corporation or its predecessors on product liability matters in federal and state courts throughout the United States, as well as in Mexico, Venezuela, the United Kingdom and Finland. He has also participated in numerous arbitration proceedings before the AAA and ICC, giving him a thorough understanding of the alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process.
Jeff represents employers and employees on employment law matters in administrative proceedings and in state and federal courts. His experience includes cases involving race, religion, and gender discrimination claims under Title VII, age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), and disability discrimination claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Jeff represented the plaintiff in an ADEA lawsuit that resulted in one of the largest verdicts in Kansas for an employment discrimination claim, and participated as counsel in a class action lawsuit involving the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, which ended in a settlement.
Jeff also practices in the area of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance and appeals. He has represented employers on appeals of citations and penalties issued by OSHA.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Washburn University, B.A., cum laude, 1980
- Kansas, 1983
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1986
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Kansas and Wichita Bar Associations, Member
Civic / Social Involvement
- Mental Health Association of South Central Kansas, Former Board Member
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Board of Directors (1984 - 1993)
- Downtown Rotary Club, Member
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Kansas Super Lawyer, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2018, 2020
- Kansas Super Lawyer, Business Edition, Civil Litigation Defense, 2011
- Best Lawyers in America, 2011 - 2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Wichita Personal Injury Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America, Wichita Products Liability Lawyer of the Year - Defendants, 2014, 2022
- America's Leading Lawyers in the Field of General Commercial Litigation by Chambers USA, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- The International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers
- Who's Who Legal of Aviation Attorneys
- Won defense verdict for aviation client after three-week jury trial in case involving airplane accident and pilot death
- Succesfully defended client against allegation of violating state anti-SLAPP statute, and then prevailed on opponent's appeal in Kansas Court of Appeals
- Defended a claim for over $100,000,000 brought against aviation client and obtained successful resolution of claim.
- Obtained summary judgment in wrongful death lawsuit based on statutory employee defense.
- Obtained dismissal of personal injury claim in airplane accident based on statute of limitations.
- Obtained summary judgment for airplane manufacturer, affirmed on appeal to 10th Circuit, of personal injury action involving jet airplane accident.
- Successfully defended against an injunction motion to enjoin the use of computer software for a health care business.
- Obtained dismissal of a manufacturer in Florida product liability action based on lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained dismissal of a manufacturing client from an action filed in Illinois involving a farm equipment accident.
- Successful resolution of a claim for an aircraft repair facility on an engine damaged using vendor-supplied testing equipment.
- Obtained successful resolution of an engine failure/breach of warranty action.
- Obtained acquittal of a client in a manslaughter case.
- Obtained jury verdict in Arkansas involving property damage in an aircraft hangar.
- Obtained jury verdict in a wrongful death action involving an airplane accident in Alaska.
- Obtained jury verdict for an employee in an age discrimination/retaliation case.
CONFIDENT is more than just a self-assured term for us.
At Martin Pringle, it’s the straightforward and simplified process by which we approach legal matters.